What Warhol’s Marilyn tells us about the art market
We’ll send you a myFT Daily Digest email rounding up the latest FT Weekend podcast news every morning.
Last month, Andy Warhol's "Shot Sage Blue Marilyn" sold for $195mn, making it the second most expensive piece of art to sell at auction, ever. And as prices keep going up, the art market — auction houses, gallerists, dealers, collectors — want to keep it that way. On the heels of a ‘stonking’ art season, we invite two heavy hitters into the studio to walk us through it: arts editor Jan Dalley and art market columnist Melanie Gerlis. Then, Christie's head of 20th- and 21st-century art, Alex Rotter, pulls back the curtain on these record-breaking sales.
Want to say hi? We love hearing from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re on Twitter @ftweekendpod, and Lilah is on Instagram and Twitter @lilahrap.
Links and mentions from the episode:
– Melanie’s article ‘Art Basel’s Swiss fair defies gloomy economy with soaring sales’: https://on-ft-com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/3QtSagn
– Melanie’s auction season roundup: https://on-ft-com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/38jn363
– Columnist John Gapper on how ‘The art market cannot get enough Andy Warhol Marilyns’: https://on-ft-com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/3O3GeAm
– Jan’s most recent art column, on whether we should send art back to Russia: https://on-ft-com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/3OeLzF2
– Robert Armstrong’s profile of Larry Gagosian: https://on-ft-com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/3IfT0sD
– Melanie’s books are called The Art Fair Story and Art as an Investment?
– Melanie is on Twitter @mgerlis, and Alex is on Instagram @rottweilernyc.
Special offers for Weekend listeners, from 50% off a digital subscription to a $1/£1/€1 trial are here: http://ft.com.ezp-prod1.hul.harvard.edu/weekendpodcast.
Original music by Metaphor Music. Mixing and sound design by Breen Turner and Sam Giovinco.
Read a transcript of this episode on FT.com
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.